Salesforce is a central part of Varian Medical System’s mission to forge a new, more unified, and smarter standard of oncology. Their goal is to connect us all through more intelligent data, insights, and solutions to realize a world without fear of cancer.
This connectivity includes enterprise applications. Like all large enterprises, Varian’s Salesforce applications are not only highly customized, but also highly connected. Many applications are involved in the end-to-end lifecycle of service, sales, customer support and customer education. Even a simple sales order travels a complex path across multiple systems from Salesforce to SAP, triggering customer apps along the way through Dell Boomi integration technology.
Working in a highly-regulated industry, Varian has a longstanding commitment to providing exceptional quality. This commitment to quality extends to Salesforce and the rest of its enterprise applications. The challenge facing Varian was how to manage quality in an IT environment with continuous upgrades, patches, customizations and data refreshes across multiple applications. Rigorous manual testing is extremely resource-intensive for systems of Varian’s complexity. They need to quickly and effectively test all 3 annual standard Salesforce updates, ongoing changes to the applications Salesforce touches (all on independent release cycles), and any changes to the integrations. On top of all that complexity are the customizations that any enterprise instance of Salesforce requires.
So when Varian implemented a sales and service management solution that connected Salesforce, ServiceMax, and SAP, they knew they needed a testing upgrade. With updates being deployed to production every 2 weeks, their traditional manual testing and legacy tools simply could not provide the speed and scalability required to meet their agile ambitions.
Tricentis helps Varian Medical System run tests in multiple environments, which has reduced the length of their test cycles and significantly reduced their costs.
- 2-week test cycles reduced to 3 days
- 35% reduction in cost
- 19-minute average test case execution time replaced with automated execution
- GUI, API, and data testing across multiple application types (Salesforce, SAP…) centralized in a single tool
- Automated quality gates ensure fast, accurate progression through the CI/CD pipeline
- Test data is being created and managed alongside test automation
- Service virtualization allows testing of integrations to applications that may be offline
- All test assets, including test cases and test data, are managed through version control
- Risk-based testing enables impactful smoke testing
- Full traceability to user stories in Jira
- End-to-end testing across Salesforce and all of the applications that touch it
- Reusable test artifacts for new applications