About the Company
One of the leading Telecom service providers in Australia, servicing more than 5.3 million customers.
Business Setting and Challenges
The client made a strategic decision to upgrade from Siebel CRM 7.5.3 to Siebel CRM 8.1.1. This upgrade required end-to-end tests spanning many technologies including Siebel CRM (Classic and Open UI) and end-to-end testing integrating upstream and downstream systems like Java, PuTTY, File Processing, and Oracle DB.
Siebel CRM is used for back-end and front-end customer data and engagements, making it the client’s most business critical system. Even system downtime could have a large impact on all areas of the company, including sales, marketing, analytics & operations etc. As such it was essential to avoid any system downtime and ensure business continuity throughout the upgrade.
- The client had many business goals including:
- Reducing time to market – enable additional functionality to gain a competitive advantage in a timely manner.
- Reducing costs – minimize implementation costs for the Siebel testing project.
- Maximizing system quality – improve the quality of testing to minimize all possible impacts on the business (sales, marketing, brand image, operational costs, etc.).
The Siebel CRM upgrade project required comprehensive testing of both Siebel functionality and also the integration to other upstream/downstream applications. Previous automation solutions had not delivered the results required and given the tight timelines, completing the testing manually was simply not feasible.
Testing Tool Requirements
The client evaluated numerous test automation solutions in the market. Tricentis Tosca was chosen for the following reasons:
- Support of the entire technology stack for end-to-end automated testing (including Siebel Classic, Siebel OpenUI, Java, PuTTY, File processing, Oracle DB).
- Ability to implement an automated solution within a short timeframe.
- Ease of creation and reduce maintenance of automated assets by non-technical resources. More scalable.
- Ability to optimize the test portfolio, achieving maximum test coverage with the fewest test cases.
- An integrated set of capabilities for the design, generation, provisioning and management of test data.
- Ability to integrate with the incumbent Test Management toolset (HP Quality Center).