The landscape of public sector IT is evolving rapidly, driven by initiatives like the Technology Modernization Fund and an increased focus on digital transformation. However, the shift to modern platforms and applications comes with its own set of challenges, particularly in the realm of testing. Traditional manual testing can be slow, error-prone, and expensive. Here are five ways the right automated testing tools can drive public sector IT modernization and accelerate innovation:
- Minimize risk. IT modernization inherently involves risks, especially when upgrading complex legacy software systems. Even a small alteration in code can have cascading effects that lead to failures or vulnerabilities. Automated testing mitigates these risks by creating a baseline for software functionality. Automated tests can quickly scan for code changes and flag deviations from the established baseline, reducing the chances of breakage or security vulnerabilities. This instills confidence that applications will be deployed without defects.
- Introduce repeatability. Traditional manual testing often requires the rewriting of test cases for each application, making the process time-consuming and prone to errors. Automated testing brings repeatability by allowing the reuse of test cases across different projects or within the same project. This not only saves time and resources, but also enables developers to focus their efforts on delivering high-quality applications rather than rewriting test cases.
- Reduce maintenance efforts. Easily maintainable test cases are crucial for long-term modernization efforts. Automated testing, particularly with low-code or no-code user interfaces, democratizes the testing process. Non-developers, including testers, subject matter experts, and line-of-business owners, can intuitively build and manage test cases. This reduces the dependency on highly skilled developers for testing, freeing up resources for more strategic projects.
- Ensure data integrity. Data integrity is fundamental to application modernization, especially as organizations manage vast amounts of data undergoing constant manipulation and migration. Manual data integrity testing, being time-intensive and prone to human error, needs to be improved. Automated data integrity testing provides a continuous and end-to-end solution to track and test data as it moves through the organization. It helps identify discrepancies, ensuring that data remains intact and functional, ultimately supporting informed decision-making.
- Achieve scalability. Agencies should look for tools that are flexible, easy to use, and scalable. It’s even better to find solutions that integrate with each other and can automate a variety of different tests and testing types. Look for platforms that can help you accelerate automated testing, streamline test management, ensure data integrity, and simplify performance testing. It’s crucial that public sector agencies look for tools that can test almost everything – legacy systems, cloud-native applications, websites and mobile apps, and more.
As public sector organizations embark on the journey of IT modernization, automated testing has emerged as a critical enabler. Embracing automated testing is not just a technological shift; it’s a strategic move toward delivering high-quality, secure, and reliable applications that meet the evolving needs of citizens, the workforce, students, and warfighters.
To learn more about how infusing test automation tools into your IT modernization strategy can fast-track innovation, check out this white paper: How automated testing tools form a safety net for public sector IT modernization.