The benefits of automated software testing
Automated testing offers organizations and their development teams several critical advantages.
- Increased test coverage. Automated testing enables teams to test a much higher percentage of code and functionality in an allotted testing timeframe, enhancing the quality of the application without slowing development timelines.
- Greater accuracy. Automated software testing solutions are far more accurate than error-prone manual methods. Manual testing is especially difficult with complex and highly interconnected applications. In contrast, automated tests can find bugs and issues in complex software with far greater accuracy.
- Faster testing. Tests like regression testing – when software is tested after changes are made to ensure that no functionality has been lost – are incredibly time-consuming. They’re also quite tedious, causing human testers to frequently make mistakes and overlook bugs. By automating these critical but routine tests, development teams can dramatically increase the speed of development.
- More efficiency. Automated testing allows test scripts to be used multiple times with minor changes.
- Reduced cost. By testing with greater accuracy and speed, automated solutions allow development teams to find bugs earlier in the process, at a time when fixing them is much easier and far less expensive.