InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) doesn’t fear change; they lead it. Recognizing that meeting travelers’ rapidly-changing expectations required the application development speed of a startup, the company prioritized digital transformation and shifted to Agile development. This was a massive shift involving 23,000 people in the global tech organization and 100+ delivery teams. The atmosphere was already charged with change, and their quality leaders knew it was time for more. They realized this was an opportunity to fundamentally rethink and re-envision their quality process to ensure that exceptional quality could be delivered as fast and cost-effectively as possible.
After exploring both developer and tester concerns with the existing process, the quality leaders developed a clear and compelling vision for a new quality approach—one that involved shifting from a Testing Center of Excellence to a Global Quality Engineering organization. Testers were embedded in the development teams, and the Quality Engineering group took the lead on defining quality practices and best-in-class standards to keep up with the company’s ever-changing app landscape. However, the company’s existing HP / Micro Focus QC toolset was a barrier to making this new vision a reality.
One of the world’s leading hotel companies with nearly 6000 hotels globally
- Estimated 30% productivity improvement for testers through greater efficiency
- Estimated 30% test automation increase
- 50% reduction in effort spent on non-test execution tasks, equating to 25% cost savings
- Enterprise testing optimization with standardized templates, repositories, and sharing
- Created full software lifecycle traceability via seamless integration between Rally and qTest
- Provided comprehensive, flexible access to quality metrics and test results — from sprint level views for team leads to quarterly release views for leadership
- Risk-based testing provides increased confidence in releases
- Stakeholders can easily review and comment on results
- Testers and developers collaborate in real-time within their familiar working environments
- Testers can log defects directly to Rally
- Business users can record manual exploratory testing efforts, enabling transparency and future reuse
- Continuous testing and quality gates are embedded throughout the CI/CD pipeline