Why Agile testing is critical for business success in the Digital Age (and how to empower testers with the right tools)
As more businesses realize new revenue streams and customer engagement strategies through software, testing is taking on an increasingly important role in business success. Despite this, testing often takes place in silos related to a single function’s requirements. In today’s highly competitive environment, if you’re not taking a strategic approach to quality, you’re overlooking a competitive advantage.
The widespread modernization of testing among today’s leading enterprises signals a maturation in the mindset of IT and the C-Suite, as businesses realize QA’s vital role in a company’s success. As the role and responsibilities of testing grow, testers must move to a more sophisticated approach that prioritizes strategic test automation and in-depth data analysis that can lead to more efficient testing higher-quality releases.
Companies that employ multiple, disparate testing methods and store the resulting information in disparate tools lack the ability to gain the kind of comprehensive, organization-wide insights that can better the business. When test data is collected across a vast toolset, testers’ ability to gain understanding of overall quality, or to leverage the insights they gain to improve efficiency enterprise-wide, becomes severely limited. In a software-driven economy, these failings put companies at a competitive disadvantage.
Developing a comprehensive Agile testing strategy
While testers still need to ensure product functionality and check the user interface, they now have more sophisticated responsibilities. Modern testing teams must:
- Streamline regression testing
- Define unit, integration and functional test strategies
- Automate API testing
- Plan performance and load testing simulations
- Perform exploratory testing
- Verify user workflows across complex, interconnected systems with end-to-end testing
- Perform acceptance testing
With all of these different types of tests going on, often across multiple tools, it’s critical that testers have a way to track, organize and report on testing activities across the enterprise. A scalable, in-sprint agile test management solution is required to:
- Standardize testing across projects and hit software delivery targets
- Accelerate test run planning and test execution
- Streamline workflows and align testing with development
- Organize test cases in a single location and create logical categories for execution
- Share test cases with other teams while maintaining project-specific versions
- Manage and track test automation across projects and tools, and execute all test runs from a central location
- Analyze application health, quality and release readiness across projects and teams
Scaling test automation
Today’s software is more complex, and the teams that test software are more specialized. Quality is a shared responsibility, and testing often occurs across many distributed agile teams.
Bringing decentralized agile testing processes and data into a centralized view can help you confirm that quality and application health are improving, and that testing is turning out the desired outcomes. Centralized reporting provides opportunities to gain insights that might otherwise be lost.
While leveraging test automation tools can help you rapidly scale testing for agile, they don’t provide what’s needed to evaluate testing or quality as a whole across the organization. Agile test management can help put test automation into the context of the business, allowing you to evaluate what’s working across projects, teams and tools. And as the number of test automation tools the average organization uses continues to grow, reporting and evaluating the overall success of test automation can quickly become a painful process.
The World Quality Report noted that test automation’s potential is understood but still unrealized at many leading enterprises. “It is worrying that our survey results show automation is currently under-exploited in QA and testing,” the report notes. “While we see a rise in the number of organizations benefitting from automation, the value they generate is largely unchanged and the level of test automation is still low.”
While it’s clear test automation shows significant promise in accelerating software delivery timelines, the market has lacked an enterprise-grade solution for maintaining visibility and control across the wide variety of open source and proprietary automation tools that are available today. The right agile test management solution will enable you to integrate test automation tools and centrally store, kick off and measure the results of your test automation efforts. For many organizations, this is a key requirement when transitioning to agile test management.
According to Janice Bethke, Director Quality and Process at Life Time, “One of the reasons we selected the Tricentis qTest platform was for its ability to scale with our test automation efforts. Before, we were using a Jira test management add-on that could no longer accommodate the growing number of automated tests we were running in each three-week sprint.” The Life Time team is now leveraging qTest Launchacross all test machines to streamline management for thousands of weekly test runs.
qTest Launch is Tricentis qTest’s test automation management solution, which enables enterprises to:
- Integrate across frameworks and tools: Leverage any open source or proprietary framework or tool, from Selenium and Appium to Cucumber, Junit or Unit Test frameworks, to Postman, Jmeter or Neotys. Use your own test machines or execute tests against an emulation service such as SauceLabs, all while maintaining centralized control.
- Enhance visibility: Track automated tests across multiple machines, quickly access the latest test automation run results and drill down into the status of specific projects with filters and customizable dashboards.
- Increase test automation coverage: Tie automated test results directly to business requirements through an integration with Jira, and quickly determine test coverage with status traceability to each requirement.
Take a strategic approach to quality with a comprehensive testing platform
The Tricentis Platform includes helps leading enterprises take a strategic approach to quality and accelerate digital transformation across the business with a comprehensive suite of software testing tools – from agile test management to automated continuous testing for enterprise architectures to cloud-based, on-demand load testing. Learn how the Tricentis Platform can help you reinvent software testing for DevOps.