How the Linde Group Simplified Testing Across Complex SAP, Salesforce, Web & Mobile Apps
“One of the key challenges is achieving the right cost balance in test automation. To do this, I need a tool that helps us built test automation quickly, and also helps us maintain that test automation rapidly, efficiently, and sustainably.”Anderas Algner, Head of Service and Security Management
Accelerate Testing for Extremely Complex Applications (without increasing costs)
The Linde Group is one of the world’s largest industrial gas company by market share as well as revenue. Over the past few years, their leaders have prioritized digital transformation initiatives that will propel this 100+ year old company into the digital future. Additionally, the organization is committed to rolling out weekly SAP updates to ensure they’re maximizing their investment in the “intelligent enterprise.”
Linde’s QA department must ensure that this accelerated rate of change does not negatively impact the business processes that employees, partners, and customers rely on. However, the application stack driving the core business is extremely complex. The Gas division alone has 18 highly-customized SAP instances and 184 different applications. For years, testing these applications was a difficult process that involved a variety of roles, tools, and specialized expertise. Increasing the challenge, the QA team was expected to achieve greater coverage of the core applications—while lowering costs.
- 18 SAP instances and 184 different applications (SAP SRM / ERP, Salesforce CRM / PRM | Service Cloud), Windows 10, Office 365, legacy apps, mobile apps, web apps, and more)
- Innovation initiatives and accelerated SAP update schedule required more frequent, faster testing
- Each application type was using specialized automation tools and resources
- Test automation with the current toolset (UFT, QC, SeeTest, Selenium) would be too costly and time-consuming
- Technical test automation experts were required to develop and maintain automation
- Brittle scripts required excessive maintenance to execute
- Their legacy testing tool vendor was not evolving the tool set for Agile and DevOps
- Test automation was limited by the complexity of the test automation tool set
The Tricentis Solution
Linde’s Head of Service and Security Management, Andreas Aigner, realized that they couldn’t just speed up their existing QA approach—they had to fundamentally change it. To satisfy expectations of increased application coverage with greater speed but lower costs, they had to dramatically simplify testing. They partnered with Tricentis to establish a new testing approach that enabled everyone from developers to business users to automate testing for everything from SAP, to Salesforce, to mobile apps.
Now, business users can simply exercise the application to indicate what functionality is core to test. Testing resources (formerly manual testers) can use that blueprint to build the automation, and testers or developers can easily evolve the test automation to keep pace with application updates. All new tests are implemented in Tricentis Tosca and test automation for 11 applications—primarily in the SAP and Digital area—has been achieved in the first six months.
- Scriptless approach enabled higher test automation rates, with significantly reduced maintenance effort
- A single solution supports SAP, Salesforce, mobile, web and other technologies involved in end-to-end transactions
- Selenium tests are integrated into the Tricentis platform for end-to-end testing
- Risk-based approach highlights what to test first and how to allocate testing resources
- Internal TCoE resources could be applied to any type of projects that required testing—improving efficiency and resource utilization
- Agile and DevOps initiatives are supported with capabilities like CI/CD integration, native API testing, broad technology support, lights-out execution, and test data management