Global Distributor Cuts End-to-End Salesforce Testing Time By 90% Using Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca’s scriptless Salesforce Scan and Continuous Test Automation features help accelerate digital transformation across a multi-cloud Salesforce implementation
Inchcape plc is the global distribution and retail leader in the premium and luxury automotive sectors. Their extensive presence in international markets and the shifting landscape in the automotive industry led them to embark on a digital transformation project.
The company engaged a partner, Idea Science, to build a comprehensive customer experience platform based on Salesforce. Along with development, the Idea Science team is also responsible for unit and functional testing as well as end-to-end business testing.
Within 6 months, the Idea Science team found that manual testing was severely impacting their pace of development. Each monthly release required 10 person days of testing, with each new release adding 50 new test cases to the burden. This was unsustainable.
The team realized they had a critical need to accelerate testing time through automation. To be able to deliver digital transformation to Inchcape, they had to transform their own processes to be “automation first”.
The Tricentis Solution: End-to-End Test Automation
The Idea Science team chose Tricentis as their automation platform, as it provides:
- No development or scripting. Business users and testers can now manage their testing.
- Cross-platform coverage. Ability to test end-to-end business processes within and beyond Salesforce.
- Reusable library. Model-based test automation enables reuse and eliminates test case bloat.
- Salesforce Classic and Lightning with Marketing, Community, and Integration Cloud support.
The team worked with Tricentis to design and deploy a business process focused suite of automated tests. They used Tosca’s Salesforce Scan feature to automatically generate automation models of Saleforce UIs and API definitions. This model-based approach enabled business users to create automated end-to-end tests that can be used on both Salesforce Classic and Lightning interfaces.
- Complex multi-cloud Salesforce implementation, spanning Classic and Lightning UIs and Service, Marekting, and Community clouds.
- Business processes spanning multiple systems, parties, and technologies
- Agile development process with monthly releases
- 500+ regression tests taking 10+ person days to execute manually each month, constraining developers ability to innovate
- 90% reduction in testing time. Testing that consumed 10 days each month is now completed in a single day and executed every sprint.
- 10x increase in risk coverage. Test quality improved along with execution speed.
- Constraints on development removed. Developers can now focus on tackling high priority features.
“Launching a digital transformation project in a global organization soon exposed the limitations of existing script-based testing automation tools. Tosca has been key in allowing us to innovate at speed and scale. “Gareth Nutt, Global CTO at Inchcape plc