“Launching a digital transformation program in a global organization soon exposed the limitations of existing script-based testing automation tools. Tosca has been key in allowing us to innovate at speed and scale.“
Gareth Nutt, Global CTO
The Tricentis Solution: End-to-End Test Automation
The team at Idea Science approached the build of automated tests from a business process point of view first and foremost. Time was spent building a library of reusable components that could be plugged in to various test scenarios. After the initial design and configuration of key business scenario tests, Idea Science are now able to follow an “automate first” approach to minimize accruing further testing debt as the development process continues. New development features are folded into existing business scenarios rather than tested in isolation.
- No development or scripting. Business users and testers can now manage their testing.
- Cross-platform coverage. Ability to test end-to-end business processes within and beyond Salesforce.
- Reusable library. Model-based test automation enables reuse and eliminates test case bloat.
- Salesforce Classic and Lightning with Marketing, Community, and Integration Cloud support.
The team worked with Tricentis to design and deploy a business process focused suite of automated tests. They used Tosca’s Salesforce Scan feature to automatically generate automation models of Saleforce UIs and API definitions. This model-based approach enabled business users to create automated end-to-end tests that can be used on both Salesforce Classic and Lightning interfaces.
- Complex multi-cloud Salesforce implementation, spanning Classic and Lightning UIs and Service, Marekting, and Community clouds.
- Business processes spanning multiple systems, parties, and technologies
- Agile development process with monthly releases
- 500+ regression tests taking 10+ person days to execute manually each month, constraining developers ability to innovate
The results showed strong progress 6 months after the move to a business process focused automation approach.
In terms of the key objective, Idea Science were able to remove the time constraint of 10 days to execute 500 test cases. The same key business processes are now executed in a day and run every sprint.
Predictably, getting the design and approach right takes time – between 1 to 2 months – and is a critical part of successfully implementing Tosca. However, once the foundation is established and key business processes to be automated are identified, the velocity of the team increased considerably both on the design and execution components.
Instead of executing 500 test cases manually over 10 days, the team are now able to test the same key business processes over a day.