We will be discontinuing support for Tosca’s classic engines after the planned release of Tosca 15.1.
What does this mean for you? If your test automation is built with Tosca’s TBox engines and not with classic engines then you don’t need to worry, nothing will change for you. If it does, then we recommend that you migrate your test automation using Tosca’s TBox.
At Tricentis, we will continue to develop and maintain the TBox framework to bring you the latest innovations in test automation for enterprise applications and different technologies.
Brief history lesson: What is TBox and what is Classic?
In simple words, TBox and Classic are both test automation frameworks in Tosca that are used for automating different technologies and enterprise applications. In Tosca, ‘TBox engines’ are used synonymously with ‘Engines 3.0’. TBox, compared to Classic, offers much faster, more robust, flexible, and reliable test automation, while supporting the latest features and updates.
How does it work? Every time you scan an application in Tosca, whether it’s SAP Fiori, Salesforce Lightning, Guidewire, a PDF document, a table or even non-GUI technology like API, Tosca uses TBox engines by default which provide you with higher performance in creating and executing your tests.
Benefits of TBox
TBox is the most important factor behind maximizing your test automation efficiency and performance. Some additional benefits:
- Enhanced integration with Vision AI: TBox offers better integration with Vision AI, our AI-powered test automation engine. This means your Vision AI test cases can run side-by-side with tests created using TBox engines like API Engine 3.0 much faster and more smoothly.
- Higher performance: Tests run much faster with TBox compared to Classic and are faster and easier to create and maintain.
- Extended functionalities: TBox includes a broad range of testing functionalities like business recovery scenarios, enhanced browser testing, dynamic expressions for times and dates, better table steering, and more action modes for your test steps.
- Better UX: TBox is much simpler to use and adopt for manual testers.
- Increased business agility & confidence: TBox leads to faster test automation speed and better insight into the quality behind your releases.
3 steps to prepare for the journey
To help you prepare for Tosca’s classic engine deprecation, here are 3 steps you can follow:
1. Rebuild your tests using Tosca’s TBox engines
If you have tests created with Classic Engines, you will need to recreate your test automation using the TBox engines (i.e. Engines 3.0) in a timely manner. As we will discontinue developing classic engines, we can no longer support or guarantee functionalities. We will also offer migration support through our consulting services as well as a Classic-TBox migrator functionality. To learn more please contact us here or reach out to your Tricentis customer representative.
2. Know which classic engines are affected by the deprecation notice
Previously, automation for Win32 and PowerBuilder applications were only possible with classic engines. For the Tosca 15.0 release, we are happy to announce support for both apps using our engine WinX Engine 3.0 and VisionAI for PowerBuilder DataWindow. Classic engines that will completely be deprecated are Siebel, Gupta, Flash and Console. If any of your test automation relies on these technologies,we recommend that you rebuild those test cases usingVision AI for faster and more robust test automation. Console can be replaced by using TBox Automation Tools “TBox Start Program“.
3. Be mindful of these timelines
- Tricentis Tosca 15.0 LTS will be the last version supporting Classic Engines. From this version on, you will still be able to run your test cases created with Classic Engines. However, you will not be able to scan using the Tosca Wizard (Legacy Scan) anymore.
- Tricentis Tosca 15.1 STS completely removes Classic Engines from Tosca. This means you will not be able to run nor create any tests with Classic Engines.