The challenges of Jira test case management
As a test case management tool, Jira has several critical limitations that can create significant challenges for development and testing teams.
- No native testing functionality. It’s possible to customize Jira to handle certain test management functions, but Jira has no built-in capabilities that help to simplify test case management.
- More clicks. Entering test cases and results in Jira requires clicking through more screens than in a standard test management tool. Jira test case management workflow involves more steps than a typical test management tool, resulting in greater time and effort spent to document test cases.
- Scalability issues. Jira test case management functionality will not likely scale to cover thousands or tens of thousands of test cases.
- Lack of automated execution. Developers and testers using Jira test management aren’t able to initiate and automated tests from within the platform.
- Limited workflow flexibility. In software testing, completed tests are never truly done – they may be repeated or repurposed for other code. But when managing testing with Jira, because every workflow in Jira has an endpoint of “Done,” there is limited flexibility for reusing the workflow for testing.