Types of software testing tools
While there is a seemingly endless array of software testing tools available today, most tools fall into several key categories.
- Automation testing tools enhance productivity of the testing team and improve the accuracy of tests. Automated tests can be run without human intervention to increase the speed of test execution. Automation testing tools can also track and increase test coverage.
- Agile testing tools support the unique needs of the Agile development environment, helping teams track defects, plan test execution, create reports, and manage testing across all Agile software developer projects.
- Mobile testing tools ensure that applications work as expected on mobile devices, which is increasingly important as a majority of users now use mobile devices for accessing software. Mobile testing tools help testers build tests for mobile devices and record and run automated UI and unit tests.
- Load testing tools help test whether websites, web applications, and APIs will continue to perform under heavy loads and extreme stress.
- Cross-browser testing tools test software in multiple browsers to ensure that it works as intended and provides a consistent user experience.
- Test management tools help teams manage projects, allocate testing resources, record results, create reports, and optimize testing functions.