It’s no secret that more and more applications are moving to the cloud. According to the 2022 Flexera State of the Cloud report, 50% of all workloads are in public clouds. In addition, moving from on-premises software to SaaS was a top priority for 42% of survey respondents. According to the BetterCloud’s 2023 State of SaaSOps report, organizations are using 130 SaaS apps on average.
Many of these apps are the backbone of your organization. They help your team track inventory, ship products, provide customer service, record financial transactions, and much more. Ensuring that business processes deliver consistent, quality experiences is paramount to customer retention and revenue growth.
Ensuring the quality of business processes
We are thrilled to announce the general availability of Tricentis Test Automation (TTA), a cloud-based test automation solution for modern web-based enterprises. Tricentis Test Automation brings model-based testing to the cloud, so QA organizations can build resilient and easy-to-change automated tests that ensure the quality of their web-based customer-facing and backend processes.
Consider a business process that starts with a website or web-based application and generates an order for a product. That process will touch multiple applications, including inventory, sales, marketing, and accounting. Ensuring the integrity of those systems and end-to-end processes is especially critical when SaaS-based apps release frequent updates.
Tricentis Test Automation helps teams ensure the quality of these business processes, including validating the functionality of the individual applications under test and the complete end-to-end business flows. It’s easy to use and has built-in support for service simulation and test case orchestration.
QA teams have been implementing test automation in different forms for over 15 years, so why do we need a new approach now?
First, many teams haven’t fully embraced automated testing. They continue to use manual testers or outsourced services to test their applications. These approaches are slow, error-prone, and especially costly for complex, multi-application processes. Many organizations recognize the need for automated testing, but the switching costs have heretofore been too significant.
Second, applications and business processes are increasingly cloud-based, dynamic, and interconnected. QA teams need solutions that help accelerate testing, increase coverage, and better adapt to business process changes. Teams relying on test scripts coded on open-source frameworks will perpetually be playing catch-up.
Third, pressures to reduce costs or “do more with less” have grown as the economy has slowed and skills scarcity has increased. Teams need a solution that is affordable, is easy to use, and minimizes the maintenance burden in high-change, multi-app environments.
Tricentis Test Automation is primed to address these challenges. It’s low-cost, easy to learn and use, scalable, and designed to simplify updates when applications or business processes change.
Who is Tricentis Test Automation for?
Tricentis Test Automation is for quality assurance teams responsible for SaaS application testing. TTA is especially well-suited for environments where use cases or business processes span multiple applications. TTA is built as SaaS and accessible over the web. QA team members from across the globe can contribute to quality by sharing scanned modules, reusing test step components, and connecting test cases with playlists.
“La Mobilière relies on extensive API tests to validate the quality of our software. An important part of the API tests is the service virtualization of unconnected applications. Tricentis enables our cloud transformation with a state-of-the-art API testing and simulation solution. We are optimistic that Tricentis will fulfill our continuous testing requirements for our SaaS solution.”
– Torsten Welp, QA Architect, La Mobilière
- Codeless testing SaaS. We didn’t create just another SaaS test automation tool — we are reimagining what test automation should be and building from the ground up. Test Automation is codeless and easy to use for anyone on your team. It focuses on the SaaS applications you use to manage your business. It’s also SaaS, so setup and onboarding are easy, and features can be delivered rapidly without upgrading software.
- Model-based testing. Tricentis pioneered model-based testing in Tosca, and now we’re taking it to the cloud. Model-based testing decouples the technical layer of an application from the automation model. It simplifies the creation of test cases so that any tester can build resilient, long-lasting test cases that minimize maintenance. Scan your application and use pre-built actions to create reusable modules that form the building blocks of your test cases. If your application changes (e.g., a field is added or removed), you simply update the module once. The change is automatically synchronized across all your impacted test cases, saving you hours of manual effort.
- Cloud-based workspaces. QA teams are rarely collocated in today’s distributed organizations. They must collaborate efficiently across geographic locations with access to test artifacts, pre-built actions, shared modules, and simulations. Workspaces enable teams to share and reuse their work easier. Modules and test cases created by one group can be reused and connected to test broader end-to-end processes.
- Test case orchestration. Coordinating when test cases run and how they connect to form end-to-end processes often requires artful, experienced QAs and a lot of planning and offline coordination. TTA’s playlists help teams coordinate test cases within and across applications. Playlists are instrumental in today’s connected organizations that pass data from app to app to execute business processes like order-to-cash or procure-to-pay.
- Simulations. Teams often delay or forgo testing because dependent services are unavailable or costly. Building mocks, or virtualized services, usually requires engineering resources that are dedicated to building the application. Simulations are easy to create and available when you need them.
Tricentis Test Automation enables the codeless creation of API tests and simulations so you can create them earlier in the testing cycle and improve the testability of your systems. Teams can deploy intelligent simulated API responses to reduce microservices costs, isolate test results, and validate APIs before they break the environment.
How to get started
We are excited about this new and innovative approach to cloud test automation. And this is just the beginning; our roadmap is full of unique features that we will soon deliver. Register for the February 9, 2022, webinar to learn more about how Test Automation addresses the most significant challenges with cloud-test automation. If you prefer to experience TTA yourself, get started now with a 30-day trial.